A month or so back I bought on eBay a used Mighty Mouse. I bought it for one reason only – scroll and right button click. Soon after it arrived I was a bit disappointed with the right button performance and not much later with the scrolling. The right button would work only if I lift my left finger before hitting the right side of the mouse. The scroll would work perfectly when scrolling down but sometimes would get stuck when scrolling up.
Today I decided to open it up and clean it, hoping scrolling can be fixed. I did some googling and I found out that this is apparently known and very common problem. I found some instructions and followed them thus disassembling my mouse. There was a huge ball of dust on one of the scrollers (probably the one getting stuck).
I cleaned it up and started assembling the mouse. Duuuh. It turns out my mouse is a bit different from the tutorial I followed and the bottom part does not clip but is glued. On top of that cleaning it up didn’t fix the scroll problems so I guess I’m going back to my old Mac Pro mouse. :(
UPDATE 31/07: I couldn’t fix my might mouse yesterday and there were no signs of improvement. Today, I reassembled it and did some more cleaning and it is as good as new – apparently I had it improperly assembled. The tutorial I followed did not say anything about glueing the mouse, but the comments did! So, again, I did not read the whole thing before starting the procedure. I figured out I don’t really need the part that needs to be glued for the proper operation of my mouse, and I decided to just leave the plastic on my desk. I hope someone doesn’t throw it away when cleaning ;)